That is what Scouts BSA is all about -- adventure! We are a Scouts BSA (formerly known as "Boy Scout") Troop for Girls that serves the Hamilton, MI area. We have girls from Zeeland and Fennville as well as Hamilton. We meet on Monday nights from 7-8:30 at the "Scout Cabin" located behind the Heath Twp Offices/Ball Fields (See Map below).
Scouts BSA is all about Outdoors, Citizenship, and Leadership, and our girls are all in to those tenets. We try to get outdoors each month, with campouts 6-8 months of the year (including winter -- yes, tents and snow huts in 8 degree overnight temps!). Girls learn firestarting, first aid, knife/ax safety/skills, knot tying, camping/cooking, and many other useful skills.
Some of our adventures:
- Canoe and/kayaking trips (Kalamazoo River, Pere Marquette River, and Rifle River so far)
- Hikes (hiking merit badge, including 3 10 mile hikes, a 15 mile hike, and the final 20 mile hike)
- Two trips to Mackinac Island as part of the Mackinac Rendezvous council event
- Summer camp to Cole Canoe Base (where we won 1st place for our lashed gateway of the Eiffel Tower)
- Many service projects, including cleaning up a cemetery, two ODC River clean-ups, cards for nursing home residents, and one Eagle project...so far
In each adventure, our Scouts plan and lead! All of our current girls have taken the National Youth Leadership Training course, and three are on staff to teach it this coming summer. Leadership is key to Scouting!
If you know a girl aged 11-17 that loves to be outdoors, Scouts BSA is the place for her. She will learn valuable skills that will remain with her for life, learn leadership skills, become more confident, and have a great time! No drama!
Girls/parents are welcome to visit anytime! (Email us at email@example.com prior to ensure we have a meeting that Monday night) We meet in the basement of the Scout Cabin....just south of Hamilton Elementary School on M40; behind the Heath Two Offices (enter at their parking lot), skatepark, Veterans Memorial and ball fields. Map: