Greetings,I hope this message finds everyone in the best of health during these unprecedented times. With that in mind, we have decided to cancel our Troop's participation in this year's summer camp at Hale Scout Reservation, due to the ongoing pandemic.Our decision was not made lightly or without any regret. We simply want what is best for our Scouts and their families.After reading the guidelines that HSR has presented, we do not feel that it is in the best interest or health for us to move forward with attending summer camp this year.Some of the guidelines that helped make our decision:
These are just a few of the guidelines that are given but affect us the most. Activities that scouts are accustomed to doing at summer camp are being severely limited or canceled altogether.
- Do not travel, attend or come to HSR if you are sick, have been sick, or have possibly been exposed to COVID-19 within 14 days of your planned arrival.
- You are 65 years of age or older. This is subject to potential change pursuant to the State of Oklahoma’s “Open Up and Recover Safely Plan.”
- You have a serious underlying health condition including high blood pressure, chronic lung disease, diabetes, obesity, asthma, and those whose immune system is compromised such as by chemotherapy for cancer and other conditions requiring such therapy cannot attend or visit HSR. This is subject to potential change pursuant to the State of Oklahoma’s “Open Up and Recover Safely Plan.” (THIS ALONE KNOCKS OUT MOST OF OUR ADULT LEADERSHIP).
- Every participant (this includes adult leaders) must have a mask and be worn at all activities, and have a 2-ounce pocket hand sanitizer.
This makes for a camp that is not exciting, fun, and worth the cost or risk to attend.We will be working with the camp to plan for 2021.If you would like to review the Hale Scout Reservation Covid-19 Response and Protocols that were put out, please click here to review.We will continue to look for ways to do things as a troop over the summer as guidelines allow that will help keep the scouts and leaders engaged and active with scouting.
- No Gaga Pit
- No opening or closing campfires
- Limited attendance flag ceremonies
- No eating in the mess hall (take out and eat at camp)
- No climbing wall during meal
- Only 10 people in Trading Post at a time
- No troop snacks in camp as accustomed to having
- No staff cobbler night with the troop
YiS (Yours in Scouting),
David Russell - Scoutmaster
Roman Herrera - Summer Camp Coordinator
Ron Hull - Troop Committee Chair
David Burgess - Troop Advancement Chair